Tuesday, January 5, 2016

One Momma's Favorite Expressions



Editor's Note: Today I am wearing a dress by Joie and Prada heels.

One Momma was my mother's mother. I called her that because I couldn't say grand-momma when I was little and somehow, my pronunciation turned into One Momma. One Momma's real name was Hilda Mae Riley Andrews Greene. It's a very southern practice to have three names like she did, and she added the Greene when she married.

She was born in 1913 in Lottie, Louisiana. She was one of five sisters. Her father died when she was 2 and then her mother died when she was a teenager. As a result, she was sent to live with her oldest sister. She had Polio in her right calf and always walked with a limp. Nevertheless, she was elegantly dressed every day. She married my grandfather, Edgar Hartsell Greene when she was 17. I called him Big Daddy. He grew up on a tree farm that we still own in Northern Louisiana.

Oil was discovered on her parent's property when she was in her 50's. She and her sisters all bought Cadillacs and went to Europe. She is where I got my love of antique shopping, as I would go with her every time I visited her in Shreveport, Louisiana.

Both of my grandmothers were very memorable women for vastly different reasons. One Momma was elegant and soft spoken and spoke with a very strong Southern accent, but she was sharp as a tack.

Here are some of her favorite expressions:

" Manners are worth a million dollars, but don't cost a cent." -Words to live by for sure and something I always abide by in my daily life.

"Your voice is like a breath of fresh air."

"Over yonder" --One Momma's word for "over there".

She also referred to the Civil War as "The War".

Her idea of what was wrong with the world---"Those trailer people are everywhere."

"Darlin', if that's the worst thing that ever happens to you, I think we're going to be alright."---One Momma on bad news.

"If it's a problem that can be solved with money, its not a problem at all."

What were wise words that people in your family shared with you?
Stay tuned--tomorrow I'm sharing Nanny's Favorite Expressions!


Last night for dinner we had tortilla soup from Central Market and Salad.





No comments:

Post a Comment