Monday, November 23, 2015

How to Turn Your Faults Into Assets



Editor's Notes: Today I am wearing Vince pants a Tahari silk blouse and a cardigan by Anthropologie and Taryn Rose flats.


If you're a human being, by nature you will have faults. While you cannot change your natural, god-given faults, you can turn them into assets. I have been doing this my whole life. I recognize my downfalls and turn them into assets.

Here are three examples.



First, I have a very Type "A" personality. I am a planner, and I am organized to a T. I have to be organized and on top of every last detail or it drives me absolutely slap dab crazy. Being Type "A" is something I've struggled with my whole life, but it has also helped me in more ways than one. It made me fifth in my class at Country Day, allowed me to gain acceptance to Tulane's Business School, one of the most prestigious in the country, and made me the woman that I am today. I use my planning and organizational skills everyday at work to make sure that client projects are completed perfectly and in a very timely manner. My clients all know that I am a "make it happen" type of designer. One of my favorite expressions is, "There's no grass growing under my feet!" If something needs to be done, I waste no time in making it happen, and I do so with style! I also bring this fault of being Type "A" and a voracious planner into my home life. I plan dinners for my family at the beginning of every week, plan my grocery shopping down to every last item to make sure I always have everything on hand to cook dinner at a moment's notice! No last minute running to the store in my house!


Second, I don't like to be behind on anything. Feeling like I'm behind absolutely sends me over the edge. People tell me that they can easily lay on the couch and watch a movie when there's laundry to be done or a house to be cleaned and I cannot imagine putting a task off until later. I like things done yesterday. While I love Scarlett O'Hara (as mentioned last week), "I'll think about it tomorrow" couldn't be more opposite from my personal mantra. I think about things yesterday, and while I'm accomplishing them, I multi-task and accomplish five other things while I'm at it. I suppose it's a fault that I don't know how to relax, but that's just who I am! My old assistant used to joke that my idea of a vacation was going to a different city to work. As much as I hate to admit it, she was absolutely correct!


Third, I am persnickety about my clothes. I was raised by a wonderful, traditional mother and she has always been and still is very elegant. She taught me never to leave the house looking anything less than your best, for any reason. I cannot leave the house without my hair done and a perfectly put together ensemble on my body. I just can't. I envy women who feel perfectly comfortable running around town in workout clothes---that's just something I could never do! I buy clothes each season very methodically, making sure I am selecting the right pieces to enhance my current wardrobe. Like I've said before, I can't create beautiful homes if I don't feel sassy, and beautiful clothes help me feel at my best at all times.

Try identifying your faults---and be honest with yourself! Write them down and then 
think about times where your faults have done something positive. Can that be applied to your everyday life?


Last night for dinner I made tilapia with chipotle lime and a caesar salad with monterey jack cheese, pecans and homemade croutons.



Love this song! Great to dance around to!

No comments:

Post a Comment