Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Thanksgiving Ideas!



Editor's Note: Today I am wearing a vintage blouse by Krizia , a skirt from Anthropologie and slingback kitten heels by Nancy Nancy.

We always spend our Thanksgiving day at Rivercrest Country Club, as they have a large Thanksgiving feast with a buffet of just about anything you could ask for, from the traditional Thanksgiving fare of Turkey and dressing, to what I personally enjoy---salmon and shrimp.

I really enjoy our Rivercrest Thanksgiving every year, especially since I host a big Christmas celebration a month later, and spend days decorating, cooking and preparing for that family event.

Even though I do not decorate a table of my own, I thought it would be fun to share some ideas for decorating your table and what to serve for Thanksgiving.

These rose-encrusted pears were a great idea out of this month's Southern Living.
Perfect for a Thanksgiving centerpiece or a fall table setting.


Pieces of holly bush can be woven around candles or placed in a bowl or vase. The red berries are festive and the greenery makes the arrangement look full and lush.


Fall leaves and pine cones can be taken out of your back yard and placed in a glass hurricane for a natural and free centerpiece.


I wish I had a picture of the versions my twins did in pre-school, but these pine cone turkeys are a fun and easy craft to do with your children or grandchildren and can be a fun, cheeky addition to the main table or an easy centerpiece for your kids table.



When decorating your table or mantle, don't be afraid to use faux and dried flowers and foliage to be kept up all season. You can add fresh flowers later for Thanksgiving day or a dinner party.


I thought I'd share how my Christmas buffet is usually displayed. I bring out all of my silver serving pieces and chaffing dishes for Christmas day. It creates a sense of occasion, and I love making holidays feel really special for all that attend.


Aside from making sure your feast is presented beautifully,
be sure to seize this opportunity to actually USE your china, crystal and silver.

It does not have to be Thanksgiving china either. Use fall inspired china, like Woodland Spode, or even white plates jazzed up by a fall color table cloth or pretty napkins.




Woodland Spode does have a collection with turkeys---if you are so inclined.


I love the idea of using your formal china for Thanksgiving, even if it is not necessarily fall colors.
This Herend Cornucopia pattern with a pumpkin color charger is decidedly autumnal and absolutely stunning.

Or, use this opportunity to add a fall inspired salad plate to your china collection!


Place cards are an absolute must for a sit down dinner. I love this version 
from Crane & Co.


When thinking about your Thanksgiving menu, try thinking outside the box this year.
If you're not a huge turkey fan and you find it to be a chore, don't cause yourself unnecessary stress!

One year, I did Cornish game hens and served them on a bed of wild rice and they were a huge hit!


Beef Tenderloin is also a crowd pleaser and it is so delicious!


What are your favorite ways to make your Thanksgiving table and meal festive?
I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!



Last night for dinner I cooked chicken and broccoli with Chinese Mustard.

I listen to country music from time to time and this song by David Frizzell and Shelly West is a favorite of mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment